Incorporated as a village in 1924, Pepper Pike became a city in 1970, when its population reached 5,000 (it's now almost 6,000). It is governed by a mayor and a seven-member City Council and is part of the Shaker Heights Municipal Court District.
Pepper Pike’s gently winding side streets and generous cul-de-sacs along with its traffic circles and open green spaces lend an uncluttered feel. Its homes and rolling properties include many wooded, private retreats from contemporary stresses. The city is largely residential and boasts a gracious, traditional lifestyle-a throwback to a more easygoing time. It holds summer concerts by its own community band, an annual ice cream social, fall clambake and hosts outdoor movies in the park.
From the outstanding services residents enjoy to bucolic surroundings, Pepper Pike perennially ranks among the top Cleveland suburbs, while the nationally renowned Orange City School District is ranked Excellent with Distinction by the State of Ohio.
Residences range from elegant townhouses to traditional homes on acres of land. Pepper Pike’s borders touch eight separate communities, allowing easy access to a universe of shopping, entertainment and office developments, as well as to major highways.
Pepper Pike is the home of two country clubs-the Pepper Pike Club and The Country Club, which hosted the 2012 U.S Women’s Amateur Championship. It is also the location of Ursuline College and several places of worship. Landerwood Plaza, built in 1960 as a graceful, low-rise neighborhood center, retains its flavor with specialty shops, restaurants, a hardware store and two markets. The shopping area is enhanced with an adjacent municipal park.
Pepper Pike has maintained continuity between the traditional past and a more progressive present, with an eye on a sustainable future. Nearly two-thirds of residents take part in the recycling program, making Pepper Pike the "greenest" municipality in Cuyahoga County. The National Arbor Day Foundation regularly recognizes the city for its attention to tree-planting and environmental stewardship. Since its founding in 1957, the Pepper Pike Civic League has been keeping a close eye on public affairs, serving as an independent advocate for good government.